Spring Vegetable Soup
This spring vegetable soup can be made to use up any leftover produce in the fridge; or it is perfect after an over-indulgent trip to the farmer’s market. After the base (stock, onions, leeks and garlic) is made, any vegetables can be used in this soup, making it a light and versatile rainbow of colors. We finished it with a dab of hot chili sauce to give it a nice kick.
Spring Vegetable Soup Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed ghee
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped leeks, rinsed well
- 1 bunch asparagus tips
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- ½ cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup fresh corn
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (baby beech mushrooms for garnish)
- ½ cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots, rainbow blend (baby carrots)
- 32 fluid ounce organic vegetable broth
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion, leeks and garlic until tender.
- Mix in the remaining vegetables, except for the baby mushrooms.
- Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 5-7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Use the baby mushrooms to garnish the top of the soup and, if preferred, a few drops of hot chili sauce for added zing.
Photographer: Carmen Troesser