Coconut Egg Nog (Santa’s Magic Power Endurance Potion)
Remember that fat is a very efficient form of energy for long distance hauls and Santa surely needs proper nutrition to travel the globe with 9 reindeer in just one night!
Some important highlights of this high-fat holiday beverage:
- Coconuts are highly nutritious and rich in fiber, vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous.
- It’s a fact this is high in fat and so it should only be consumed in moderation. For one night, the benefits outweigh the cons.
- The fat that is provided, however, is in the form of lauric acid, which is converted in the body into a highly beneficial compound called monolaurin, an antiviral and antibacterial that destroys a wide variety of disease causing organisms.
- Should Santa be lactose intolerant, this recipe will sit well with him.
- 6 free-range eggs
- ½ cup low glycemic palm sugar
- 2 ¼ cup full fat organic coconut milk
- 2 ¼ cups organic almond milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
Optional – For Adults only
- 6 oz bourbon
- ¼ cup brandy
- Whisk half the eggs with the sugar until pale in color.
- Add the nutmeg.
- In a blender, puree the coconut milk and almond milk until smooth consistency, then add to the egg mixture.
- Whisk the remaining eggs until very frothy (soft peaks) and fold them into this mixture.
- Chill for 30 minutes. Garnish with nutmeg and shaved chocolate.
Optional: If you choose to add the alcohol, blend it with the coconut milk and almond milk.
Nutrition Facts – without alcohol
Nutrition Facts – with alcohol
Photographer: Carmen Troesser