Cucumber & Wakame Seaweed Salad
You’d think we were going for all the colors of the rainbow with this one, and we did! But seaweed also supplies the full spectrum of minerals we need, according to Seibin and Teruko Arasaka, authors of Vegetables from the Sea.
Add its vitamin A, B1, B2, B6 and vitamin C, and we have a cancer-fighting, weight-controlling, cholesterol-lowering powerhouse. The crispy cucumbers and all the colors and flavors we add in this recipe will satisfy your palate as well as your palette.
- 1 Large organic English cucumber
- 1 TB course sea salt
- 1/4 cup dried Wakame seaweed
- 2 organic green onions, sliced
- 1 cup organic Shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded organic purple cabbage
- Tri-color organic carrots, sliced thin
- Small bunch organic cilantro for garnish
- Using a mandolin, slice cucumber and place into a bowl with salt, mix and let stand for about 20 minutes. The salt will draw out the water from the cucumber.
- While cucumbers are soaking, place mushrooms on a single layer in a steaming basket and place into pot. Steam for about 15 minutes.
- While cucumbers are soaking and mushrooms are steaming, place dry seaweed in warm water and let soak for 5 minutes. Rinse.
- Rinse the cucumbers under cold water and gently squeeze out excess water. Also rinse and strain the seaweed.
- Place together into a small mixing bowl and toss with the dressing. It’s best to let it chill for about a half hour.
- Then toss with carrots, green onions, cabbage and cilantro. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!
Dressing Ingredients & Preparation
- 1 TB toasted cold-pressed sesame oil
- 2 TB organic coconut aminos
- 2 TB organic rice vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp minced organic garlic
- Mix all ingredients until well blended
Photographer: Carmen Troesser