Gluten-Free Strawberry And Blueberry Shortcake
We’re celebrating the colors of Independence Day with this Strawberry and Blueberry Shortcake. Get your workout in, then splurge a little with this gluten-free version of a July 4th holiday classic!
Gluten-Free Strawberry & Blueberry Shortcake Ingredients
- 1 package (Bob’s Red Mill) gluten-free cornbread mix
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 pint full-fat coconut milk (chilled in the refrigerator overnight)
- 2 oz powdered sugar
- 1 pint organic blueberries
- 1 pint organic strawberries
- Prepare the gluten-free cornbread per package instructions.
- Allow to cool completely, then cut into 12 equal squares.
- When ready to use the coconut milk, remove the container from the refrigerator, carefully open, and spoon out the solids only (discarding or keeping the coconut water for another use). Whip in a chilled bowl for 3-5 minutes until it forms soft peaks.
- Set this aside in the refrigerator.
- In a blender, add ½ cup of blueberries and blend until smooth.
- Set the sauce aside in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Slice the squares of cornbread in half (cross-section).
- Place one half on the center of a plate.
- Add a generous dollop of freshly whipped coconut cream.
- Place a layer of blueberries and strawberries over the coconut cream.
- Lay the top piece of cornbread over this and repeat the steps.
- Garnish the plate with some additional berry puree and berries.
Nutrition Facts – Serves 12
Photographer: Carmen Troesser