“Long Day In The Saddle” Bars
This one’s for endurance athletes! Enjoy these as an alternative to overly sweet endurance fuels. These bars provide the perfect 3:1 ratio of carbohydrates to whey protein. Wrap these into individual packages with aluminum foil and store them in your bike shirt, saddle bag, or backpack for any long adventure.
“Long Day In The Saddle” Bars Ingredients (12 servings)
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 cups quinoa flour
- 2 ounces vanilla whey protein powder
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Peel sweet potato and place in 4 cups water in sauce pot.
- Bring to boil and simmer until potato is soft.
- Purée this in a blender, then return it to the pot.
- Add the salt, cayenne, and pecans.
- Add the quinoa flour and whey protein powder.
- Turn heat to low and stir frequently for 5 minutes.
- Pour thick mixture into an 8×8 pan, lined with wax paper.
- Place in refrigerator and cool overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove and cut into 12 equal portions.
- Place each portion on a cookie that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Place tray in oven and bake for 7-8 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool completely and wrap individually in aluminum foil for your endurance adventure.
Nutrition Facts (Serving Size: 1 bar)
Photographer: Carmen Troesser