Orange Coconut Chicken Salad
Hmmm, leftover chicken breast in the fridge from dinner last night? Turn it into a super refreshing, healthy, flavorful, attractive chicken salad that is packed with high quality nutrients!
The free-range chicken provides plenty of lean protein with many essential vitamins and minerals. The bonus points come from the avocado, orange, and coconut, which are packed full of healthy and essential fats, vitamin C and fiber. The avocado oil based mayonnaise provides this salad with a smooth and creamy texture that is rich in heart healthy fats and is gluten, soy, and dairy free.
Prep this salad for a late summer dinner, or pack it for your kids lunch at school. It’s even great served on gluten-free crackers as an hors d’oeuvre!
Ingredients / Servings 2
- 6oz grilled chicken breast, diced into 1/4inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- ½ avocado, sliced (1/4 gets diced & ¼ gets sliced and set aside for garnish)
- 1 orange, segments removed, and juiced (set aside juice) (1/2 of the segments get chopped and ½ the segments are set aside for garnish)
- 1 cup organic baby kale, chiffonade (sliced thin)
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen avocado oil based mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon toasted coconut flakes
- In a mixing bowl, add the free-range chicken, red onion, diced avocado, chopped orange, kale, celery seed, avocado oil based mayonnaise, and coconut.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend all ingredients well.
- Scoop the chicken salad onto a plate and garnish with the remaining avocado slices and orange segments.
Photographer: Carmen Troesser