Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
Spring…so many scrumptious fruits and veggies that come to life this time of year. One of our favorites is rhubarb. Although it suffers a bad reputation as super astringent (makes your mouth pucker-up), with just the right amount of TLC, rhubarb shines as a fantastically versatile vegetable. It’s quite healthy too, containing significant amounts of vitamins, minerals, bioflavonoids and dietary fiber.
Rhubarb is typically baked with excess sugar in pies. That is not the case here! This recipe pairs the rhubarb with strawberries, pure honey and fresh vanilla. It’s finished with some powerhouse Chia seeds for added texture and thickness. The simplicity of this dish makes it a no-brainer for home cooks looking to celebrate the arrival of spring. Serve it on gluten-free toast or english muffins, add it to your morning parfait, or get really crazy and garnish a scoop of ice cream with this delicious treat!
- 3-4 cups of organic strawberries with stems removed
- 1 cup chopped organic rhubarb
- ¼ cup of pure raw honey
- ½ organic vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon organic chia seed
- Puree half the strawberries in a blender.
- Gently mash 2 cups strawberries, leaving them chunky.
- Place into a sauce pan with the pureed strawberries, rhubarb, honey, and vanilla bean.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add the Chia seeds.
- When done, pour into a jar, cool, and store in the fridge.
|Servings Per Recipe||12|
* Nutrition Facts are based on 1 serving.
Photographer: Carmen Troesser