Warm Winter Salad with Caramelized Butternut Squash, Pomegranate, and Brown Butter Vinaigrette
Enlighten your taste buds with this seasonal winter salad. Browning the butter provides a rich and nutty flavor that is hard to resist. Tossed with your choice of power greens, and nutritionally dense ingredients like butternut squash, pecans, and pomegranate make this a wonderful side dish during the holidays.
- 2 cups roasted organic butternut squash
- 1 pomegranate, raw
- ¼ cup toasted pecans
- 2 ½ cups organic mixed baby greens
- Brown Butter Vinaigrette
Brown Butter Vinaigrette Recipe
- 2 oz salted raw butter
- 1 teaspoon local honey
- ½ organic lemon, juice squeezed fresh
- ½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Peel a medium butternut squash, dice into medium sized cubes and roast in a 375-degree oven until golden brown and tender. Set them aside.
- Remove seeds from the pomegranate and set them aside too.
- To make the vinaigrette, in a skillet, add the butter and cook over medium heat until it starts to froth and turn golden brown. Turn off the heat and add the fresh squeezed lemon juice. Add the honey and Dijon mustard, and whisk until emulsified. Season this with salt and pepper to taste, then set aside near the stove to keep it warm.
- In a mixing bowl, add the mixed green, butternut squash, toasted pecans, and pomegranates and toss well. Season very gently with salt and pepper. Add the warm vinaigrette and toss well.
- It’s ready to serve immediately.
Note: This brown butter vinaigrette is fabulous as a sauce with any type of delicate white fish, like sole, skate wing, or especially fresh sea scallops.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Photographer: Carmen Troesser